Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Disaster or Destiny?

I had a horror movie dream last night, and as we all know in the world of dreams anything can and does happen. I dreamt that I was in a plane and as we took off we clipped the side of a hotel. Just slightly you understand nothing to bring us down immediately. However it was obvious that this plane was going nowhere and definitely not up. I was very calm, almost like I was only witnessing the situation as the pilot wrestled with the plane. It looked hopeless, like we would crash at any point, but everyone was very calm. Because it was a dream, and odd things can happen in dreams, we could all see out the windscreen, like in a car. We calmly watched as the pilot narrowly missed all the obstacles in the way, took a steep right turn and safely landed on a dual carriageway without hitting a single thing. The overriding feeling was ‘I knew it would be fine’!

So even if it looks as though we are heading for disaster, if we are not supposed to crash - we won’t. We just don’t know where we are heading in the bigger picture – destiny may have things in store that we have no idea about. In fact it is pretty certain that it does. I heard destiny defined as what comes to us when we look at our fear and choose to transcend it as opposed to fate, which is what happens to us as a consequence of letting our fears make a decision.

Sometimes when we hold back and give power to our fears we think we are averting a plane crash. However, in truth, we are creating it with our thoughts. Fear is an amazingly strong thought. If we transcend our fears and allow ourselves to seemingly head for disaster, more often than not that single act of faith, letting go and letting God, will spin us into a totally different trajectory. If we don’t let our fears stop us we will invoke our destiny.

When I first let go of the work I talked about in my previous posting, the stuff I’d held onto out of fear for so long, the destiny I invoked rushed in. I started by thinking about how I would feel when my dreams and wishes around my work came about. By return – literally within one day - more interesting and varied work appeared from places I couldn’t have even thought of left up to my own devices. I noticed opportunities that had been there before, but had been hidden by my fear. The phone rang out of the blue. I found the enthusiasm and energy to make a start. So not only do I say ‘bring it on’, but do something to start the process. Make a list of all the things you know you could do but are too frightened to start and pick one, just one – pick it and start today.

As Goethe said:
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!'

3 Comments:

Blogger Fausto2006 said...

Hi Jessica your comments are really inspiring, I find fear can be also considered as a guide for finding where opportunities can arise, as I heard you saying once, out of the comfort zone, so in some way we need to say thanks to our fears.
Fausto

12:16 PM  
Blogger Fausto2006 said...

Hi Jessica your comments are really inspiring, I find fear can be also considered as a guide for finding where opportunities can arise, as I heard you saying once, out of the comfort zone, so in some way we need to say thanks to our fears.
Fausto

12:16 PM  
Blogger elisa said...

Jessica,
your words, as they always do, set me thinking. I love the definition of “destiny” as opposed to “fate” in your post. In the past few months the Universe has gone really out of its way to tell me it’s time I start living my life to the full. The “hints” have come in all sorts of ways, some of which felt really mean, at the time. A complete disaster and I didn’t know where I was heading, just as you say. However, a few months down the line, I can see how everything has been working to give me an opportunity to choose destiny over fate. Clumsily I have started to move towards taking conscious responsibility for the way I live my life, the feelings I choose to feel and the actions I choose take. To me, this is a big step, and an empowering one. I have gone past quite a few gremlins, yet there are so many more “fears” still holding me back. For example, I have been mulling over writing this for a couple of days, but fear was holding me back. So today I choose to take your challenge, pick this one up and get started by posting :).
Elisa

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Review Blog Search, Weblog Directory Blog Flux Directory Blog Listings Blog Directory