Thursday, October 19, 2006

Are we our Roles?

Firstly I want to thank those of you who are starting to enter into the conversation and leave comments to the posts. This is what it is about, having a discussion about what it means to live in the bigger picture. Please feel free to invite your friends in too.

I see this as anyone’s blog not necessarily a reflection of just my thoughts and beliefs. Hence wanting you to join the conversation and add your ideas too. But thinking about that also got me thinking about the roles we play in our lives and how we identify not only ourselves by these roles, but also categorise others by the roles we see them play.

I have seen that I have been letting go of some of my roles recently. When I gave up some work, as I mentioned at the beginning of this blog, it was a giving up of a role. Not just the work itself, but also how I saw myself in the work: dependable, in charge, knowledgeable, efficient. That’s not to say I can no longer function in these roles but the expression of me as these things in that particular situation has been removed. It feels empty, like a peg I had hung myself on for a while no longer exists. The question that comes next is of course, ”well who am I then?” And that, is the 64 thousand dollar question. As we release our attachments to the roles in our lives we begin to look deeper into who we truly are, what our destiny might be. These can be scary questions but at some time or other I reckon we all ask them.

What roles are you hanging onto to stave off these questions? Do you still need to identify with them? Could you begin to start dropping them as a form of identification and become, simply, you?

P.S. I'm away next week off up to the Picos de Europa mountains in northern Spain coaching a course called The Big Stretch www.thebigstretch.com Take a look, it's a great, life-changing week. That being said there's no posts from me but you can keep the conversation going...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Review Blog Search, Weblog Directory Blog Flux Directory Blog Listings Blog Directory